Are you ready to test your political smarts?
Host Chris Hall quizzes our panel of journalists on some of the most important political headlines of the 12 months, in a series of questions ready through quizmaster Emma Godmere.
Take A Look At your knowledge with contestants Elamin Abdelmahmoud, David Cochrane and Katie Simpson by following along with the questions below and examine your solutions on the backside of the quiz.
how many headlines do you remember from 2021? It’s time to check your knowledge with The Home’s annual end-of-year quiz! Play along with our panel of newshounds as host Chris Hall pitches questions surrounding the largest political stories from January through to December. FIFTY THREE:59
1. We’re going to kick things off with this audio clue:
Trudeau calls the U.S. Capitol attack ‘an assault on democracy by way of violent rioters, incited by way of the current president’
High Minister Justin Trudeau criticized U.S. President Donald Trump all over a media briefing on Friday with reporters. THREE:15
Prime Minister Justin Trudeau stated: “Violence has no place in our societies, and extremists won’t succeed in overruling the desire of the people.” What experience was once he talking approximately?
2. A Few folks recognized as individuals within the storming of the U.S. Capitol had been associated with the Proud Boys, a neo-fascist organization with chapters in Canada and the U.S. a couple of weeks later, the federal govt indexed the Proud Boys and 12 other teams as terrorist entities beneath Canada’s Legal Code. Title another a ways-proper group that was introduced to this list.
BONUS: the federal government brought a few extra entities to the checklist later in June. Identify one of the a ways-right teams added at that point.
THREE. Time for an additional audio clue from January:
’This Is a gut punch for the Canadian and Alberta economies’ says Kenney
What’s The “intestine punch” Alberta Most Excellent Jason Kenney is reacting to?
BONUS: U.S. President Joe Biden signed 16 other govt actions and orders on his first day in workplace. Identify one other transfer he made that day.
4. Extra major information broke earlier than the month of January was up. Which prominent person resigned from a submit, following a place of business assessment?
5. Who immediately stepped in to fill the vacancy?
BONUS: How long did this person fill in for?
6. In February, the Commons passed a movement the place 266 MPs voted in favour and zero antagonistic. MPs formally abstained, together with Marc Garneau, the foreign affairs minister on the time, who stated he abstained “on behalf of the federal government of Canada.” What was the movement in query?
7. As COVID-19 vaccine deliveries ramped up in February, provinces started starting up vaccine appointments to older age groups through February and March. Identify the two former high ministers who were given their first COVID-19 shots in Ottawa at the end of March.
A employee sets up indicators for a mass vaccination health center in Toronto on March 17, 2021. (Frank Gunn/The Canadian Press)
EIGHT. Also in March, the Splendid Courtroom of Canada made an important ruling. Which federal Liberal software used to be dominated constitutional?
9. In April, the Conservative Birthday Celebration unveiled its own local weather plan, which might scrap the Liberals’ carbon tax however still put a worth on carbon for customers. consistent with the Conservatives’ plan, the money collected from that levy could be funnelled toward what?
10. Additionally in April, at a local weather summit held by Biden, the Liberal executive unveiled new greenhouse gasoline emissions targets. In The Past, Canada had pledged to cut back emissions through 30 in step with cent underneath 2005 levels by the yr 2030. What had been Canada’s new objectives?
11. Climate change got here to the forefront while an exceptional heat wave and damaging wildfires hit Western Canada earlier this yr. The village of Lytton, B.C. — just days earlier than a devastating fire could tear in the course of the area — shattered Canadian heat information for three days in a row. What was once the report-breaking temperature recorded in Lytton?
12. Another best story that reverberated inside the 12 months was once the sexual misconduct crisis within the Canadian military. Which best military commander impulsively stepped apart simply weeks after being named to the highest submit on account of an research into allegations against him?
Admiral Art McDonald turned into Canada’s new top military commander in January. He used to be on the job for under a month earlier than stepping aside. (Andrew Vaughan/The Canadian Press)
THIRTEEN. Which army reliable permanently took over his position?
14. Identify the previous Best Court justice who in April was once tapped to guide an exterior assessment into sexual harassment and misconduct within the Canadian military.
BONUS: the former Conservative executive conducted an external evaluate of sexual misconduct in the military six years ago. Which former Supreme Court justice led that overview?
FURTHER BONUS: ARE YOU ABLE TO name the opposite former Superb Court justice who this 12 months launched a evaluate into Canada’s military justice gadget?
15. In Might, unmarked graves have been uncovered at the web site of the former Kamloops Residential Faculty in B.C. It was the primary of a number of websites that would be uncovered in the following months. Trudeau announced that flags on all federal homes can be flown at part mast to honour the kids who never again home, to boot as survivors and their families. for how many consecutive days did flags fly at part mast?
16 Competition Chief Erin O’Toole stated the next one night time, within the Area of Commons: “The non-partisan Speaker granted yet one more emergency debate because of the Liberal govt’s failure to combat for our financial interests, whether at house, whether or not across the world and even with our closest allies.” What was once the subject of this emergency debate?
Conservative Chief Erin O’Toole holds a information convention in Ottawa on May 7, 2021. (Sean Kilpatrick/The Canadian Press)
17. Additionally in Would Possibly, federal Ethics Commissioner Mario Dion released his findings following an research under the Battle of Passion Act into the WE Charity controversy that unfolded the summer season earlier than. Which person was once cleared of wrongdoing, and which person used to be found to have damaged warfare regulations?
BONUS: This used to be now not the first ethics probe for Trudeau. how many came before it?
18. In June, Speaker Anthony Rota known as a personal citizen to the bar of the house of Commons to be formally reprimanded — one thing that hadn’t been performed seeing that 1913. Who was once that individual?
19. Why was he being reprimanded by way of the Speaker of the house?
20. Also in June, the high minister nominated a brand new member of the Supreme Courtroom of Canada. The nomination — and subsequent appointment — was a first for the rustic’s easiest courtroom. Name the brand new justice and the rationale why the appointment was a primary.
21. On what date used to be 1/2 Canada’s general population totally vaccinated in opposition to COVID-19?
22. The top minister appointed a few new senators over the summer time. of them had been coming off mayoral terms. Senator Bernadette Clement, selected in June, used to be the mayor of which Ontario town? And Senator Karen Sorensen, appointed in July, used to be mayor of which Alberta town?
23. In early July, the Meeting of First International Locations elected a new national chief — RoseAnne Archibald. What position did she hang prior to changing into nationwide chief?
24. Additionally in July, Mary Simon was once introduced as Canada’s 30th governor common — and the first Indigenous particular person to serve within the role. Later in the month, at her set up ceremony, she shared her Inuk name is Ningiukudluk. What did Simon say her Inuk name approach in English?
Gov. Gen. Mary Simon provides her cope with after she took the oath to develop into the 30th governor general of Canada in Ottawa on July 26, 2021. (Sean Kilpatrick/The Canadian Press)
25. The federal Green Party had a tumultuous yr, which concerned infighting, leadership challenges and in the end profitable one less seat than it captured within the 2019 election. one among the largest blows got here while MP Jenica Atwin crossed the floor to the Liberals in June. Before Atwin, who used to be the closing MP to pass the ground in the Space of Commons?
BONUS: Which riding did the MP constitute, and what was the election lead to that using on Sept. 20?
26. Another top tale was unfolding as Trudeau announced Canadians would be heading to the polls a couple of weeks later. the same day he known as the election, the Taliban swept into Kabul, the capital of Afghanistan. Relatively more than a week later, U.S. forces had officially withdrawn from the country. Whilst did Canada end its army involvement in Afghanistan?
27. As Soon As Trudeau referred to as the election on Aug. 15, opposition party leaders were quick to react. What three-phrase phrase did NDP Leader Jagmeet Singh use to explain the decision Trudeau made?
NDP Chief Jagmeet Singh responds to questions all over a information convention in a park in Winnipeg on Aug. 26, 2021. (Paul Chiasson/The Canadian Press)
28. Conservatives released their platform on Day 2 of the marketing campaign. What used to be the title of the report, and the picture emblazoned around the entrance?
29. Which Liberal candidate had a “manipulated media” warning tagged onto a tweet, which featured an edited video of O’Toole?
30. Which provincial top of the line waded into the federal election, telling newshounds that the stance of positive birthday celebration leaders was “worrisome” and suggesting a minority government can be the right end result for him?
31. Trudeau’s campaign was met with protestors on a few occasions, however at one specific prevent, gravel was thrown at him. Where did this occur?
32. All Through a forestall at Toronto’s city corridor, NDP Leader Jagmeet Singh pitched renaming the riding of Toronto–Danforth to what?
33. On Sept.r 20, Canadians elected a Parliament that looked pretty very similar to the final one, but there have been still a couple of ridings that changed arms. Title two ridings, plus the winning candidates, that flipped on election night time.
BONUS: of the ridings that flipped featured returning politicians. Name the 2 MPs who lower back to the home of Commons after losing earlier elections.
34. in several ridings, results were not identified for a few days after election night time. a few even faced judicial recounts. in a single case, the judicial recount ended in a different outcome than what was once in the beginning stated. By Means Of how many votes did Bloc candidate Patrick O’Hara lose to Liberal Brenda Shanahan in a judicial recount in Châteauguay–Lacolle?
BONUS: Name the previous Liberal cupboard minister who once narrowly received her Edmonton riding via 12 votes, again within the 1990s.
35. Simply days after Canadians headed to the polls, a good bigger news story broke past due on a Friday night. Michael Kovrig and Michael Spavor were launched from prison in China and were after all flying house. for how many general days had been the two Michaels detained?
Former diplomat Michael Kovrig embraces his wife, Vina Nadjibulla, following his arrival on a Royal Canadian Air Force jet after his free up from detention in China at the Toronto international airport on Sept. 25, 2021. (Cpl. Justin Dreimanis/DND-MDN Canada/Reuters)
36. Even As the discharge of the two Michaels was once a good moment within the Canada-U.S. relationship, the 2 international locations hit a rough patch again as Biden and Trudeau were making ready to meet on the North American Leaders Summit in Washington in November. Whilst and where was the closing North American Leaders Summit held?
37. As Canadian, Mexican and American leaders met in Washington, a proposed electrical car tax credit score for American-built automobiles proved to be a new sticking aspect — as Canadians raised considerations that the transfer could squeeze Canada out of the EV marketplace. In U.S. bucks, what does the tax credit for American-made EVs best out at?
38. Trudeau unveiled his new cabinet on Oct. 26. A Few Liberal ministers had been kicking round cabinet seeing that 2015, but just one minister has held the exact comparable portfolio due to the fact that day one. Which minister has been matched with which similar portfolio through all this time?
39. the first invoice to make it thru Parliament and obtain royal assent this session was C-4 — the bill to prohibit conversion therapy. Which MP moved a movement in the Space to fast-observe the bill during the Commons in early December?
40. In recent weeks, the conversation across the pandemic has been ruled through the Omicron variant. On what date did the WHO switch to the Greek alphabet to call COVID-19 versions?
1. The Jan. 6 riot at the U.S. Capitol.
2. 3 different some distance-proper teams had been delivered to the checklist at that time: Atomwaffen Department, The Bottom, Russian Imperial Motion.
(BONUS: Three Percenters, Aryan Strikeforce)
3. The cancellation of the Keystone XL pipeline
(BONUS: Other govt movements and orders included reversing the U.S. withdrawal from the arena Health Group, rejoining the Paris climate settlement and doing away with the Trump administration’s regulations on folks entering the U.S. from seven Muslim-majority international locations.)
FOUR. Gov. Gen. Julie Payette.
FIVE. Leader Justice Richard Wagner.
(BONUS: Six months, from Jan. 23 to July 26.)
6. The motion labelled China’s persecution of Uighurs a genocide.
7. Jean Chrétien and Joe Clark.
EIGHT. Federal carbon tax.
NINE. Personal low carbon savings money owed.
10. FORTY-FORTY FIVE per cent.
11. 49.6 C.
12. Admiral Art McDonald.
THIRTEEN. Gen. Wayne Eyre.
14. Louise Arbour.
(BONUS: Marie Deschamps.)
(ADDITIONAL BONUS: Morris Fish.)
15. 161 days.
SIXTEEN. Line 5
17. Trudeau was once cleared of wrongdoing. Invoice Morneau was discovered to have breached the Battle of Passion Act.
18. Then-president of the general public Well Being Agency of Canada Iain Stewart.
19. For failing to show over to a Commons committee documents related to the the firing of two scientists from the Nationwide Microbiology Laboratory in Winnipeg.
20. Mahmud Jamal, first individual of color appointed to the Ideally Suited Court.
21. July 19.
22. Cornwall; Banff.
23. Ontario regional chief.
24. “Bossy little old lady.”
25. Leona Alleslev.
(BONUS: Aurora–Oak Ridges–Richmond Hill; Leona Alleslev lost to the Liberals.)
26. March 2014.
27. “Egocentric summer season election.”
28. “Canada’s recovery plan:” O’Toole in a dark T-shirt along with his hands crossed.
29. Chrystia Freeland.
30. Quebec Most Fulfilling François Legault.
31. London, Ont.
33. Any of the next:
John Aldag, Liberal; Cloverdale–Langley Town; previously a Conservative riding. Parm Bains, Liberal; Steveston–Richmond East; up to now a Conservative driving. Lisa Marie Barron, NDP; Nanaimo–Ladysmith; in the past a Green driving. Randy Boissonault, Liberal; Edmonton Centre; prior to now a Conservative driving. George Chahal, Liberal; Calgary Skyview; prior to now a Conservative driving. Paul Chiang, Liberal; Markham–Unionville; in the past a Conservative using. Blake Desjarlais, NDP; Edmonton Griesbach; up to now a Conservative riding. Stephen Ellis, Conservative; Cumberland–Colchester; previously a Liberal driving. Michelle Ferreri, Conservative; Peterborough–Kawartha; previously a Liberal using. Lisa Hepfner, Liberal; Hamilton Mountain; in the past an NDP using. Wilson Miao, Liberal; Richmond Centre; previously a Conservative using. Mike Morrice, Inexperienced; Kitchener Centre; prior to now a Liberal driving. Rick Perkins, Conservative; South Shore–St. Margarets; previously a Liberal driving. Anna Roberts, Conservative; King–Vaughan; prior to now a Liberal using. Clifford Small, Conservative; Coast of Bays–Crucial–Notre Dame; in the past a Liberal riding. Jake Stewart, Conservative; Miramichi–Grand Lake; previously a Liberal riding. Leah Taylor Roy, Liberal; Aurora–Oak Ridges–Richmond Hill; in the past a Conservative driving. Joanne Thompson, Liberal; St. John’s East; previously an NDP driving. Ryan Williams, Conservative; Bay of Quinte; up to now a Liberal using. Bonita Zarrillo, NDP; Port Moody–Coquitlam; prior to now a Conservative using.
(BONUS: Randy Boissonault and John Aldag.)
34. 12 votes.
(BONUS: Anne McLellan.)
35. 1,020 days.
36. June 2016 in Ottawa.
38. Diane Lebouthillier, minister of nationwide revenue.
39. Conservative MP Rob Moore.
FORTY. May 31.
Your prize, for making it to the finish line
The House’s prize for completing the quiz? A playlist of our favorite songs we aired at the software in 2021: